After checking out the Balm's website and learning the range is talc-free, paraben-free and cruelty-free (in addition to seeing the Balm's attractive pinup-meets-vintage-esque packaging), I was more than a little intrigued, and eager to put them to the test.
I was also sent a Mad Lips 'Red Rose' lip tattoo, but I'm going to try that out as part of another post.
the Balm Overshadow (the sexpots): shade 'no money, no honey'
Meet the first finely milled, all-mineral shimmer designed to go over eyeshadow. Apply to the lid to transform the most subtle daytime shadow into nighttime shimmer.
- I really like the colour of this overshadow - it's not too gold and it's far more neutral than I expected
- The fact this product doubles up as a highlighter is convenient
- The packaging is really cute - I'm a sucker for vintage pinup style!
- I feel this price of this product - £7.99 - is fair. Before it arrived, I thought the pot wouldn't last very long as I read it contains just 0.57g of powder. Turns out this is much more than I first expected and a little goes a long way, so this should last a while.
- It can sometimes be difficult to get the right amount out of the pot - tap too gently and hardly any powder appears; tap too hard and you can make a right mess!
- I personally find this shadow a little too glittery to use as a highlighter
the Balm Cheater! mascara
|£8.90 (I think! I got the last one in stock on find-me-a-gift.co.uk and so the price is not currently up). In the last pic I am wearing the Overshadow too!|
Cheater! is a fabulously volumizing mascara enriched with Panthenol, which strengthens and conditions your lashes. The spiral brush gives you the look of dramatic, faux lashes without the extra work.
- The wand's big brush is easy to use, and great at separating and lifting lashes
- One again, I like the packaging - even the cheesy inclusion of 'Thomas Thick' and 'Lance Long Lash' down one side!
- The brush slides perfectly in and out of the mascara tube, leaving minimal residue around the top (a serious pet hate of mine)
- I also like that the lid-brush is metal (not significant at all really, but hey!)
- This mascara takes quite a while to dry and so building up layers can be time-consuming - no good for those "Ah crap, I'm gonna be late for work!" mornings!
- If you do attempt to apply another layer of Cheater! mascara too quickly, you're very likely to end up with a severe case of spider lashes
Have you ever tried any products by the Balm?