Thursday 18 October 2012

Winter Warmers #1: Heat Holders, Ultimate Thermal Socks Review

When I was asked if I would like to review a pair of Heat Holder socks, I immediately replied with a happy "YES PLEASE!" I suffer cold feet often and with winter just around the corner (and living in a flat with just a single, crap storage heater), I'll take all the help I can get to stay warm.

I was sent a black and charcoal pair of Stripe Charcoal/Grey Heat Holders, size 6-11.

Heat Holders: KatSick Review
£7.00 per pair (+ P&P)
Heat Holders: Front packaging
Closer look at front packaging
The packaging declares Heat Holders - which have a 2.3 tog rating - as 'The Ultimate Thermal Sock" and "7 x warmer than a basic cotton sock", thanks to three different features:
  • Advanced Insulating Yarn: Specially developed fibres with superior moisture-wicking abilities (this means moisture is drawn away from skin and passed to the outside of the sock).
  • Long Looped Thermal Pile: Innovative knitting technology designed to trap warm air. 
  • Soft Brushed Inner: For additional warmth and comfort. 
Heat Holders: Reverse of packaging
Reverse of Heat Holder packaging

But are Heat Holders as warm as the packaging claims?

KatSick wearing Heat Holders
Enjoying my Heat Holder Socks
YES! These socks provide brilliant insulation for feet!

It is a fact that cold feet can interfere with sleep, and so on recent nippy nights I have worn my Heat Holders to bed - I've slept far better as a result. Aside from the fact these socks keep my feet incredibly toasty, I love them because the brushed interior is incredibly soft. I often find myself moving my feet and toes on purpose to indulge in the fleecy-feel!

I turned one of the socks inside out and took a picture, in order to give you a better idea what the soft brush inner is like.
Heat Holders: Soft Brushed Inner
Heat Holders: Soft Brushed Inner
Chilly feet can also have a negative impact on the ability to concentrate, and so I am going to make sure I wear these to work as the temperature reaches freezing point.

Any downsides?

Only that I was hoping these socks might reach my knees, but no such luck - I'm going to have to invest in a few pairs of the extra long variant soon I think! There a a number of different types of Heat Holders socks available; click here to see the full range

I must admit I was a quite amused when I clicked on the 'Ambassadors' page of the Heat Holders website, only to be greeted with the face of Craig Phillips - winner of the first UK series of reality show Big Brother, and now TV DIY personality. I think it is the expression on his face which tickled my funny bone so much, but I often find amusement in things others do not...
Big Brother's Craig Phillips endorsing Heat Holders
But hey, Craig's right to say those who work on building sites like himself would benefit from wearing Heat Holders!

If you want to keep cold tootsies at bay as Christmas approaches, these are the socks for you.

/KatSick.


No comments:

Post a Comment